I’ve been through the process twice before. I’m trying to organize my genealogy information. I am brilliantly awful at organizing for myself. Put me in an office and ask me to organize your files? Absolutely. But my own? Agh! What a mess.
Ideally, an organizational system needs to accomplish a few things:
- It must be functional on a day-to-day basis.
- It must aid in the preservation of documents.
- It must be separate from everything else in my life (lest I lose it completely).
- It must be backed up.
So the questions are as follows:
- What is the best way to organize files so that I can find them when I need them?
- What is the best way to back up the files so I don’t lose them (both paper and disc are vulnerable)?
- What is the best way to preserve paper documents?
So far, all I’ve decided for certain is that my paper files and electronic files should be identical. And…that paternal lines will have a blue file, maternal lines will have a red file. Any thoughts/tips?